SUV Showdown: Volkswagen Atlas vs. Tiguan
Family vehicles were once purely practical, optimizing space over style – and requiring parents to settle for a less-than-luxurious ride. But today’s SUVs are both functional and fashion-forward, embracing bold design as well as all the latest technology features.
Volkswagen vehicles prove this better than other brands, with our new line-up of family SUVs delighting drivers with a need for both comfort and cargo space. These roomy vehicles are perfectly suited for family travel, and no two models are better equipped than the VW Atlas and VW Tiguan.
Check out our Volkswagen comparison below to determine which model is the best fit for your active family! Read on to learn more, then stop by to test drive your favorite family SUV!
Popularity of SUVs Among Families
While sedans once reigned supreme, SUVs (sport utility vehicles) first outsold them in 2019 – by a wide margin! The trend has continued, and experts predict the light truck market (including SUVs) to account for more than three in four sales by 2025.
Family SUVs’ comfortable cabins, lengthy list of safety features, and abundance of cargo space make them popular among parents. With a diverse variety of models on the market, drivers are sure to find one that accommodates their budget and lifestyle.
Check out these perks, ideal for fueling family fun!
- Full suite of safety features: Including LATCH system for easy car seat installation, adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, lane departure warning, additional airbags, etc.
- Ample cargo space: Fold second and third rows to add storage space, with power liftgates and flat-folding seats adding convenience
- Spacious cabin: Five seats come standard, with full-size models boasting third rows to accommodate up to eight
- Impressive towing capacity: Powerful engines and durable frames ensure larger SUVs can tow campers, trailers, recreational vehicles, and more
- Budget-friendly price tag: Plenty of competition keeps prices affordable – and because they’re built to last, pre-owned SUVs are a great option as well
Volkswagen Atlas: Stylish Exterior That Stands Out
The new Atlas is sure to turn heads, with updated LED lighting, 21-inch two-toned alloy wheels, panoramic sunroof, and a sleek silhouette. A remote power liftgate is another perk, so it’s no wonder the Volkswagen Tiguan was named a “Best Value SUV” in the Parents® 2022 Best Family Cars shopping guide.
Volkswagen Tiguan: Sophisticated Meets Sporty
The thoughtfully designed Tiguan is another eye-catching option, with a hands-free liftgate, visibility-enhancing headlights, and streamlined front grille proving that you don’t need to choose between fashion and function. The Tiguan is the only compact crossover with a distinctly European vibe, transforming an American favorite into an international sensation. Because both models boast unique exterior designs, personal preference will be the deciding factor in this category!
Volkswagen Atlas: Top Tech-Equipped Cabin
The Atlas is just as elegantly appointed inside, with comfy seating for up to seven! Paired with 96.8 cubic feet of cargo space (rear seats folded), these available features make this 3-row SUV popular among locals – especially with family trips in the future!
- Climatronic® 3-zone automatic climate control
- Second row captains chairs
- Wireless smartphone charging
- Fender premium audio system
- Touchscreen navigation
- Keyless entry
- Remote start
- VW Car-Net via the myVW app
- VW Digital Cockpit Pro
- SiriusXM with 360L (three month free trial)
Volkswagen Tiguan: Innovative Interior Design
The Tiguan not only offers an enhanced experience behind the wheel, but upscale cabin features the whole family will love. This midsize SUV seats five, maxing out cargo space with 73.4 cubic feet (rear seats folded).
While the Tiguan lacks a third row, it’s a great alternative to the Atlas for those not needing the additional seats. It comes with all the cabin features highlighted above, so when it comes to comparison, your cargo and seating needs will likely steer your decision.
Performance and Driver Assist Features
Volkswagen Atlas: Embrace Power and Performance
Volkswagen is known for its commitment to safety, equipping its entire SUV line-up with the most advanced driver assist features. Top performance is another perk, with two engine options available in the 2023 Volkswagen Atlas. Choose one of the following:
- 2.0L 4-cylinder engine (standard)
- 235 horsepower
- 258 lb-ft of torque
- 3.6L V6 engine
- 276 horsepower
- 266 lb-ft of torque
Enjoy these performance- and safety-enhancing features, designed with your family in mind:
- Tiptronic® mode to enable manual shifting
- Four all-wheel-drive modes (Snow Mode, On-Road Mode, Off-Road Mode, Off-Road Custom Mode)
- Back-up camera with wide lens view
- Front and rear crumple zones
- Automatic Post-Collision Braking System
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Electronic Brake-pressure Distribution and Stability Control
Volkswagen Tiguan: Family-Friendly and Functional
The 2023 Tiguan harnesses turbocharged horsepower, with 4MOTION® technology to optimize handling and traction – no matter how challenging the terrain! Fueled by a 2.0L engine with four all-wheel drive modes, the Tiguan generates 184 horsepower.
What the Tiguan lacks in horsepower, it makes up for with fuel efficiency. For drivers with a daily commute who are looking to save at the pump, the Tiguan may be the wiser choice. But if your family trips involve another vehicle in tow (camper, boat, jet ski, etc.), the Atlas’s more powerful engine is required. Consider your needs, then take your pick!
Have More Questions About the Volkswagen Atlas and Tiguan? Contact LCVW Today!
The fun-to-drive VW Tiguan beats its big sibling in fuel economy and agility, with its compact size making it a more popular choice for smaller families.
If you’re still struggling to decide which Volkswagen vehicle is best for you, our team can help.
Contact us today or just stop by!